Thursday, January 29, 2009

New craft, nativity set

























I made some of these little figures for the Christmas craft fair at hubby's work last year. It sounded like a good idea to make more, so I made this set! It's more detailed than the nativity I made for the fair. It's just made of Sculpey oven-bake polymer clay, bulked out with foil in the thicker portions so it baked properly. The set has 10 pieces. Mary, Joseph, 3 kings, a shepard and sheep, angel, the manger and removable baby Jesus. They're about 2-3 inches tall. A little time consuming to make, but fun! Side note, this set is for sale, $3o, e-mail me if interested. I'll just save it for next year's craft fair if there's currently no interest :)


They're really fun to make, try it out! Polymer clay is easy to work with, just like modeling clay. It stays soft until you bake it, so you have plenty of time to add little details. This set is all decorated with holly, I put holly on each figure in at least one place, tiny leaves and berries barely bigger than a grain of sand. The sheep has "wool" made of Polymer clay swirls coiled up like cinnamon rolls. I'm a purist, I don't use any molds, premade portions or other material accents, but you can add anything that's safe to go in the oven like bits of wire or beads. Sculpey can also be painted after it's baked. Fun stuff!

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute! I love them! I think you should open up an etsy shop!

    -Sara

    ReplyDelete