Friday, January 23, 2009

Freebies

A tip for those looking to be green or just on a budget..

2nd hand isn't always bad! I watch the free section on Craigslist, FreeCycle, thrift stores and yard sales for many items. Mostly clothing. Since I'm losing and the kids are growing, there's not much sense investing a lot in our clothes that won't fit for long.

I just got a whole pile of jeans free on Craigslist from someone moving! I'd guess 15-20 pairs, way more than I need, so I can pass on the leftovers to someone else, add them to our yard sale box or recycle the denim into crafts if there are any damaged ones.

Most of the pots in my container garden are recycled freebies or cheap 2nd hand buys, and most of our furniture is too. I'm usually able to get a much better quality item that way too, like my TV stand is a very nice, high end solid wood piece that we got 2nd hand for cheaper than buying another new pressboard piece of junk one that we'd have broken in a year. My finds often require a little elbow grease to get them into shape, but once they do they're usually really nice stuff! Good for the environment, good for your wallet, good ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment