Thursday, January 22, 2009

My Meal Plan

The most common question I get about my weightloss is "what do you eat?"

So here it is, plain & simple :) I just choose one option from each category, or something similar. I eat about 6 times daily, 3 meals and 3 snacks.

Breakfast:
1. fat free cottage cheese with a spoonful low sugar or sugar free preserves, or a handful fruit
2. scrambled egg with 1 slice cheese on toasted double fiber english muffin
3. Light & Fit yogurt with 1 piece fruit (an apple or something)
4. a 2- egg omelet with cheese and sauted veggies

Snack:
1. a piece of fresh fruit
2. a handful of almonds
3. Any fresh veggies
4. celery with natural peanut butter
5. a slice of cheese and Ak Mak or All Bran crackers
6. a reduced fat string cheese
7. a light yogurt
8. a sliced apple with natural peanut butter or a slice of cheese
9. fresh cut fruit with yogurt to dip it in
10. fresh cut veggies with yogurt or hummus to dip
11. sunflower seeds
12. pumpkin seeds

Lunch:
1. a large salad of romaine or leaf lettuce (not iceburg! it's nutritionally worthless), with about 1/4 cup protein like a handful nuts, leftover cooked chicken or other meat, a slice of cheese or a string cheese. Any veggie toppers I feel like, maybe some oranges, and a little light dressing or salad spritzer, or salsa for a taco salad
2. veggie soup, just broth with any combo of veggies and maybe a can of tomatoes. Add cheese & crackers for some protein
3. Dinner leftovers
4. a small whole wheat pita stuffed with grilled chicken and veggies, with light mayo or fat free sour cream

another snack

Dinner:
I cook dinner, and try to make planned leftovers so I have some side dishes ready to go that I can just reheat. Some common menus I make (next time I make them I'll share pics & recipes, or sooner by request):
1. fish tacos with beans and sauted greens or zucchini
2. turkey tacos (same sides)
3. grilled or broiled chicken sandwich, fresh fruit and cooked veggies
4. burger on whole wheat english muffin, baked fries or sweet potato fries, or baked sweet potato and veggies
5. simple chili or soup and many variations, with biscuits or toast and fresh fruit
6. baked chicken tenders, veggies and fresh fruit
7. stir-fry over brown rice with oranges
8. stuffed cabbage rolls, broccoli and fruit
9. sauted turkey smoked sausage & peppers, brown rice, fruit
10. grilled sausage or chicken, veggies and fruit
11. low carb "hot dogs" of smoked sausage on romaine "buns" with baked fries and fruit
12. baked packets of cod, mushrooms & asian seasonings on brown rice, broccoli and fruit

Dessert/after dinner snack:
any of the day snacks, or
1. sugar free pudding made with fat free milk, sometimes with peanut butter or fat free cool whip
2. sugar free jello with cool whip free
3. apple, cored and filled with raisins then baked until tender
4. frozen green grapes

I try to buy lots of produce, fresh fruit and veggies, whatever is on sale. We end up eating a lot of broccoli, cabbage, zucchini or mexican squash, oranges, apples, berries, peaches, nectarines, melon, grapes, onions, greens, lettuce - tons of others, but those I always seem to have around!

I don't usually measure portions very accurately, but I do keep an eye on meat and fat and try to limit them. I try to get healthy fat sources like avocado, almonds and canola oil. Other than that, I just try to eat lots of fresh fruit & veggies, enough lean meat, and a few servings of whole grain. That seems to be the basis of every diet on the market, no gimmicks just common knowledge that really works!

Of course diet alone isn't enough and you'd need to do some kind of exercise, and check with your doctor and all that we all know already! I'm breastfeeding too so that speeds up the weightloss a bit, it lets me have a bit more calories daily than someone who isn't. I take a multivitamin when I remember too, just to cover any bases I missed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment