Sunday, January 25, 2009

The garden today


It's been overcast and drizzly here, but the plants are looking pretty good.

Here's my chocolate mint, I just got it a week or two ago. It was pretty root bound, I repotted it into a reclaimed freebie pot and it's already looking better.











I was amused at my worm bin, I added the scooped out seeds of a melon, which started growing. It's had some fruit flies from a banana peel I put in there, so I covered it in wet newspaper you can see on the left. All the stuff on the sides is castings, the good stuff!










These are my sweet potatoes, one of these pots has a sweet potato in it, the rest are just slips I broke off that one potato. I just moved them outside and they're a little sun scalded right now, but it'll perk back up again soon. The lush green on the far right is how they usually look!




This planter is full of spinach sprouts, with a couple beets in the middle. I planted them before Christmas, so the cold stalled them but they're really taking off again the last week or two. Soon they'll be big enough to start taking some leaves off! There were more beets, but the birds got them.
This planter is full of baby mini carrots. The cold stalled them too, but they're also looking better now.






My mustard greens are really the stars right now. All these white pots were planted the same time as my spinach, beets and carrots, but the cold didn't stall them as much. They'll be ready to go soon! The red and green pots here have baby mustard seedlings I just planted a week or so ago, they pop up really fast!





No comments:

Post a Comment