Saturday, February 7, 2009

Luscious little lemon cookies

I tried making these cookies this morning. I wanted a lemon dessert recipe that is at least healthier than my old favorites, lemon bars. I found a few recipes for lemon olive oil cookies, and modified it. These little wonders are OUTSTANDING! They definitely don't taste like anything I should be eating! They're crisp on the bottom like a crust, luscious and tender in the middle. Not gooey, but moist, soft, cakey and almost a little chewy. Zippy lemon flavor just like lemon merringue pie. I think I have a new favorite easy cookie recipe! Try 'em out, I bet you'll love them too!

Luscious Little Lemon Cookies

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

3/4 cup unbleached flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

dash salt

dash ginger powder (optional)

1/3 cup sugar

1 tbsp poppy seeds (could probably leave these out)

2 eggs

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup canola oil

zest of 1 lemon, grated

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. In a separate small bowl, beat together remaining ingredients. Pour into dry ingredients and stir just until combined well.

Drop by tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 12 minutes. Makes 16 cookies, only about 92 calories each!

Next time I may try swapping out even more of the flour for whole wheat, or replacing the whole eggs with eggwhite or simmered flaxseed meal. Awesome as they are!

Here's the bottom of the cookies, see how golden and lovely? Perfect crisp but tender. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment