Wednesday, February 4, 2009

First harvest of the year


Yay! I harvested the very first of my container garden today. Just a salad made of thinnings from my big dish of radishes and some baby spinach, but still good! Only about 10 minutes from growing to served up. All I did was pull up any of the baby radishes that were too close together, break off the root end and wash them well. The baby spinach I pulled larger leaves off all my plants. I need to plant more spinach, I eat a ton of salads and fresh right off the plant is so much better than the junk at the grocery store! There's something primal and intensely satisfying about eating something you grew yourself, even if it's just a little salad!


I added half a chopped up roasted chicken breast on top of the salad and a little light ranch and made lunch of it. Yum :D


On a related note, I think the potting soil I'm using has too much nitrogen. The root veggies don't seem to be getting plump roots, just lots of greens. My baby carrots should have some thickening by now, but nothing. Same with the radishes. At least the radish greens are edible (and yummy!) but the carrots may be a flop. Worst case scenario I toss them to the worms and start over with some garden soil or some plain ol' dirt. Until then - my greenery stuff is all doing really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment